To have the knit edge nice and neat I use the following method .
- I knit the row till 1 stitch is left unknitted
- Before the last stitch I pull the yarn to front
- I do not knit the last stitch, just remove it from one needle to another purlwise
- I turn the work
- I knit the first stitch to the back loop
- Second and all other inside stitches are knitted according to the pattern
If the pattern needs all the stitches, I usually cast on 2 stitches more for both edges.
Knitted edge or first loop will do a lot